New to list too!

	I subscribed last night after finding out about this list. I have a few
hostas and am getting a few more in this spring. I have started a small
bed on the north side of my house between the sidewalk and the
foundation.It is about 30" deep and 14' long. I decided to put in small
to dwarf hostas, smaller ferns and small astilbes. I don't want to be
pushed off the sidewalk into the mud by huge plants.! So fare I have
Chartruese Wiggles, lanc. var. thunbergiana and Verna Jean. The latter
was sent as a free gift and all are from Shady Oaks. Thunbergiana hasn't
sprouted yet but the other two are doing fine. I also put in a Japanese
Painted Fern and some Northern Maidenhair. At the eastern and most
brightly lit part of the bed I put in a white bleeding heart. I'll add
small astilbes next spring and maybe some more small hostas. Our soil is
on the heavy clay sweet side. Lots of very old rotted horse manure and
sawdust is being added. It grew very healthy grass. It is zone 4 and
somewhat exposed to western winter winds.
	I have a few other hosta around. Honeybells, a rather large blue one
that is already huge and this is it's 3rd year. Also a yellow leafed one
and a variegated one. No names, just picked up on impulse from a local
nursery. I ordered and am expecting Serndipity, und. albmarg., Gold
Standard and Sun Power.

	I have plans for the next few years to fill my front yard with trees
and shrubs to make a mini-forest. I want to then fill in with ferns and
hosta with not a scrap of grass. I hate mowing. It seems that if this is
done right, it will be a lower maintence type of front yard and
definately cooler on those hot summer days of 90s and 100s plus keep
some of the bitter winter winds from the west from sweeping in when it
is -30. I figure the back yard will be the sunny grass place for
grandkids to play and wrestle on.

	I'm looking forward to getting information on the care and feeding of
hostas, what's good and what's not so good.

Ann B.
Montana Gardener