Re: Greetings from Northern Spain!

At 12:51 PM 5/17/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello Hostaddicts!
>
>This is my first post of the list. I just subscribed some 2 minutes ago...
I live in Basque Country, Northern Spain, where we enjoy a balmy but very
wet climate, zone 9, HUMID (!!!)  oceanic. Heavy soil, lots of rain: you
see, PERFECT SLUG COUNTRY!!!! :-(
>I love hostas. Most of my plants are in big pots, for better slug control.
Even after all my vigillance, slugs and small snails do always find their
way to the hosta foliage, making those ugly holes you sure all detest.
>Sure you've been bored of this topic to death, but I'd appreciate if
somebody of you could let me know -perhaps privately- about this
ammonia/water solution to spray the plants. What is the BEST concentration?.
I understand you can soak the plants completely, so the spray goes into the
very crown of the hosta to kill even the most hidden bugs. And I heard once
that this 'soaking' is even good to the plants, kind of fertlizer... Please
let me know!. I've tryed the beer thing, mulching with coarse bark, spread
Metaldehide pellets liberally all around, but the little ^&%$^* still doing
damage... I'm desperate. What can I do???

>Your hosta friend,
>
>Jose
>Basque Country, Northern Coastal Spain, 4319N
>Very hilly, very green, very beautiful!!! :-)
>Zone 9. Humid oceanic climate.
>EMail: almand@arrakis.es
>

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
>
><META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content='"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=GENERATOR>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Hello Hostaddicts!</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>This is my first post of the list. I just
>subscribed some 2 minutes ago... I live in Basque Country, Northern Spain,
where
>we enjoy a balmy but very wet climate, zone 9, HUMID (!!!)&nbsp; oceanic.
Heavy
>soil, lots of rain: you see, PERFECT SLUG COUNTRY!!!! :-(</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I love hostas. Most of my plants are in big
>pots, for better slug control. Even after all my vigillance, slugs and small
>snails do always find their way to the hosta foliage, making those ugly holes
>you sure all detest.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Sure you've been bored of this topic to death,
>but I'd appreciate if somebody of you could let me know -perhaps privately-
>about this ammonia/water solution to spray the plants. What is the BEST
>concentration?. I understand you can soak the plants completely, so the spray
>goes into the very crown of the hosta to kill even the most hidden bugs. And I
>heard once that this 'soaking' is even good to the plants, kind of
fertlizer...
>Please let me know!. I've tryed the beer thing, mulching with coarse bark,
>spread Metaldehide pellets liberally all around, but the little
>^&amp;%$&Ccedil;^* still doing damage... I'm desperate. What can I
>do???</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Your hosta friend,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Jose<BR>Basque Country, Northern Coastal
Spain,
>43&ordm;19N<BR>Very hilly, very green, very beautiful!!! :-)<BR>Zone 9. Humid
>oceanic climate.<BR>EMail: <A
>href="mailto:almand@arrakis.es">almand@arrakis.es</A></FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>i use 25% ammonia to 75% water  it seems to work well for  me , try a more
diluted solution and work up to that,  happy hosta  indianabob