From: JOSE ALMANDOZ <ALMAND@arrakis.es>
To: Mail List - Hostas <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Date: Sunday, May 17, 1998 6:54 AM
Subject: Greetings from Northern Spain!

Hello Hostaddicts!

This is my first post of the list. I just subscribed some 2 minutes ago... I live in Basque Country, Northern Spain, where we enjoy a balmy but very wet climate, zone 9, HUMID (!!!)  oceanic. Heavy soil, lots of rain: you see, PERFECT SLUG COUNTRY!!!! :-(
I love hostas. Most of my plants are in big pots, for better slug control. Even after all my vigillance, slugs and small snails do always find their way to the hosta foliage, making those ugly holes you sure all detest.
Sure you've been bored of this topic to death, but I'd appreciate if somebody of you could let me know -perhaps privately- about this ammonia/water solution to spray the plants. What is the BEST concentration?. I understand you can soak the plants completely, so the spray goes into the very crown of the hosta to kill even the most hidden bugs. And I heard once that this 'soaking' is even good to the plants, kind of fertlizer... Please let me know!. I've tryed the beer thing, mulching with coarse bark, spread Metaldehide pellets liberally all around, but the little ^&%$Ç^* still doing damage... I'm desperate. What can I do???

Your hosta friend,

Jose
Basque Country, Northern Coastal Spain, 43º19N
Very hilly, very green, very beautiful!!! :-)
Zone 9. Humid oceanic climate.
EMail: almand@arrakis.es