Re: info on H 'Kara'???

Giboshi simply means "hosta."

Marekmohr wrote:

> << I have heard that there is a H 'Kara' .  Does anyone have any information
> on
>  this one.  >>
>
> I GOT IT FROM ENGLEARTH'S LAST YEAR.......616-793-7196.....IT IS NOT IN THIS
> YEARS CATALOG, SO I DONT KNOW IF IT AVAILABLE....PROBABLY ALSO 50
> BUCKS......GROWS REAL, REAL SLOW!!!!!
>
> IT IS ALSO KNOWN AS 'KARA G'   ....THE G STANDING FOR GIBOSHI.....ANYONE KNOW
> THE TRANSLATION FOR GIBOSHI????
>
> ken

From Lawrence Lacey Sioux City, Iowa
     Here is my two cents worth on H. Kara.  About four years ago I bought a Hosta from a Nursery in Spencer Iowa labeled Tokedama Flavocircinalis.  After dividing it 5 ways and growing it since then, I became aware last year that it was not properly labeled.  The interesting thing was that I found the same identical hosta (only larger and more mature than mine) in the Missouri Botanical Garden and in the garden of Larry Harder, Ponca NE., both mislabeled like mine, Tokedama Flavocircinalis.  I appealed on the first Hosta net to Dorrie Rose and anyone else online to please tell me what I had, with no results.  It wasn't until I was going through the fine photos in the other gardens section of AAA Ornamentals that I think I solved the mystery.  There was my hosta, labeled Kara.  I immediately grabbed Schmid and went to page l82 and studied the description of Kara and found that it fits mine exactly.  As I observed before, there is apparently a rather widespread misidentificatio!
!
n of Kara as Tok. Flavo.  So I guess I have four nicely established clumps of Kara growing in my garden.  If they are that valuable, maybe I should go in business!