Re: Greetings from Northern Spain!

Hi Ran,

Soon I will write my -small- hosta list, I promise...
Although our climate here is 'slug paradise', it allows us to try many
different plants. We have a wide wild choice of ferns growing on the shade.
I love hydrangeas too; they grow like weeds, and they look so fresh on half
shade, especially the whites like SOEUR THERESE or VEITCHII or the pale
pinks like AYESHA (bitt too big, but lovely lilac-shaped flowers; very
unusual for an hydrangea!). Acanthus mollis it always goes in the shade
here, as well as my giant gunneras. Bamboo goes well there too. I grow lots
of hellebores for color when the hostas are undergroung; I grow my own
seedlings (pretty dark reds and slate blues, a few pinks and whites....) of
the formerly called H. orientalis, now H. x hybridus. Perhaps my fav
hellebore is the Corsican hellebore, H. argutifolius: cannot think of other
garden plant with a longers season of interest!. For the time the hellebores
are in flower, wild primroses and vivid blue pulmonarias join the show.
Woodland gardening I like very much. I love camellias, and I grow many, but
for the time the hostas are at their best I found smaller rhododendrons and,
best of all, Satsuki azaleas (very late flowerers here) best of all.
Japanese maples in all their many kinds match hostas to perfection. When I
worked at Wisley Gardens, they used lots of shade loving perennials to go
with them, from trilliums to meconopses, lilies to rodgersias... And there
is more...

Happy Growing!

Jose