Re:THEORY on H 'Kara' & CLONAL GROUPS???

<<   It wasn't until I was going through the fine photos in the other gardens
section of AAA Ornamentals that I think I solved the mystery.  There was my
hosta, labeled Kara.  I immediately grabbed Schmid and went to page l82 and
studied the description of Kara and found that it fits mine exactly.  As I
observed before, there is apparently a rather widespread misidentificatio!

I DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN SUMMARILY ANNOUNCE YOUR CONCLUSIONS AND THEREAFTER
SELL THE HOSTA UNDER A NAME OTHER THAN THAT WHICH YOU PURCHASED IT
UNDER.....[WELL THAT SOUNDS POMPOUS ON RE-READ......LOL]

UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE IN A LEAGUE WITH ALEX SUMMERS, JIM HAWES, OR SOME OF
OUR OTHER FRIENDS WHO HAVE "INTO" HOSTA FOR THE LAST 30 OR 40 YEARS......

KARA IS FROM THE "TOKU FLAVO" GROUP.....IT IS A "SELECTION" BASED ON "SLIGHT"
VARIATIONS FROM THE NORM.....SCHMID SAYS THAT SOULES 'THOUGHT' THAT IT WAS
SMALLER, PETIOLE IS WINGED, SCAPE SHORTER & LEAF MORE ROUNDED......THE
VARIATIONS CAN BE VARIABLE TO SAY THE LEAST....[IS THAT
REDUNDANT?....LOL].....I THINK IT MAY BE TOO EARLY IN THE SEASON FOR YOU TO
HAVE COMPARED SCAPES......THE VARIABLE LEAF SHAPE MAY HAVE ESCAPED NOTICE
UNLESS YOU HAD A LEAF OF EACH TRUE TYPE IN YOUR HAND.....BLAH, BLAH,
BLAH......BTW, THIS IS WHERE A VISIT TO A CUT LEAF SHOW CAN BE INVALUABLE.....

ANYWAY.....SOMEHOW THIS TURNED INTO A LECTURE, AND THAT IS NOT MY
POINT.....WHEN SCHMID SAYS THAT A PLANT IS FROM A 'GROUP'......THE DIFFERENCES
CAN BE MINISCULE.......EXCEPT TO THE MOST HIGHLY TRAINED EYE....

HEY....SINCE THERE IS ONLY ONE KNOW SOURCE.....I WOULD FEEL SAFE IN THE
CONCLUSION THAT THIS PLANT IS NOT IN TISSUE CULTURE.....HENCE IT BECOMES A BIT
FAR-FETCHED TO SUGGEST THERE WAS SOME 'CONFUSSION BY THE SUPPLIERS.....UNLESS,
THERE WAS OUT & OUT FRAUD ON BEHALF OF SOMEONE.......LABELING A 15 DOLLAR
HOSTA AS A 50 DOLLAR HOSTA......

JIM HAWES.....AGREE OR NOT???  DAN????  WHAT MIGHT ALEX THINK ON THE
SUBJECT????

KEN