Re: TC and OS

Chick wrote:
> It appears that Ran and I interpret the term "OS" differently. And it
> brings up a good question for mail order catalog buyers and sellers.
> Ran apparently feels that any plant that was not grown from tc can be
> labeled OS.  I won't argue that because nobody has ever defined the term
> for me and I just made an assumption that it means more than that, that
> it actually came from the garden of the originator through some known
> manner.
> Many catalogs, including mine, do not use these codes.  What exactly is
> a TC plant?  My  offering of OS stock of 'June' a few days ago was an
> attempt at humor because 'June' originated in tc and there is no such
> thing as OS.  Of the nearly 500 varieties I grow, I only get 15 or 20 a
> year in tc, with most being produced by division of our own stock.  But
> where did that stock come from?  If it came from another grower, unless
> it's a new variety that almost certainly came from tc, I don't really
> have any idea.  Or I may have obtained my original plants from a lab
> several years ago and have been dividing clumps ever since.  Is it still
> tc after 5 generations?  It kind of makes the terms rather meaningless
> unless they are narrowly defined, and I guess only the AHS has the clout
> to do that.
> Opinions?
> Chick
> Come buy plants from me at  www.bridgewoodgardens.com
Chick and all:
I believe it is right to label any stock, that you personally know, as
having come fron material that has not been in TC, as OS.  That means
however, that one must know absoulotily!  NO guessing!!  As so much that
you buy now, has been in TC sometime, it is not always easy to trace the
origins of some varieties.  As Chick points out, many of out new
cultivars, originated as TC "sports" and would never be labled OS.The
labling problem is being compounded by the National Perennial Growers
Association.  They insist , that all plants that have ever been in TC,
and divisions of those plants ad-infitum----Be held and labled as TC.  So
in most lists, it should follow, that if the plant is not labled as OS,
it can be assumed to have come from TC.  One more comment.  None of the
above , is meant to question the value of TC plants.  All growers of
Hostas rely heavly on Tc material.  The real , remaining, problem, is
that some few firms, are cutting short the process of final culling ( of
plants that are not "holding true") and trying to make a fast buck, by
selling the plants in the first year.  This is cheating the customer.
Those who follow this pratice, should at least be honest and tell
customers what they are doing.
Ran Lydell
Eagle bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.