Re: TC and OS

Jim Hawes wrote:

> Hosta Friends,
>
> I think we are confusing terms. Unless a sport occurs, a plant from tc
> is identical (phenotypically and genotypically) to OS. To me, OS means
> it came from someone and the chance of a label mistake (or perhaps a bud
> sport occurence) is minimized by the rogueing and selection process. We
> are talking apples and oranges. TC is a micropropagation process. OS is
> historical knowledge of the origin of the plant and macropropagation.
>
> Any plant in the process of being increased by micropropagation must
> begin with something (i.e. a meristem). One gets the meristem from the
> tip of a growing plant. That growing plant can be a division, a
> previously propagated tc liner which was once young or a seedling. Every
> plant must originate from a previous source of living tissue. So every
> plant in tc is identical to the plant from which it began (unless it
> "sports"). Sports do not occur any more frequently in tc than they do
> in the garden. TC does not induce sports as many people incorrectly
> believe. TC is nothing more  than propagating cuttings of a clone under
> sterile conditions in gel with fertilizer, natural or synthetic hormones
> and vitamines suspended in the colloids. It is a substitute for cutting
> propagation media.
>
> The major difference between plants propagated by tc and mature
> divisions is the stage of maturity and the quantity of stored food in
> the larger sized mass of tissue of division macropropagated plants.. TC
> plantlets are also divisions (shoots) . Technically, they are
> vegetatively rooted cuttings of  clones of OS plants. So lets not
> compare tiny tc plantlets with large, more mature OS plants using
> qualitative ( genetic)  criteria to describe their differences. They are
> identical and similar to OS in all other respects except size and
> maturity.
>
> Jim Hawes Oakland MD
> hawesj@gcnet.net

Say what ytou will----but two problems still exist.  As I pointed out
earlier, The Perennial Growers Association, disagrees with your position
on what TC really is , in their insistance, that all TC perennial
material, carry the TC label ---forever!!  The other thing we must factor
in is the carelessness in(or lack of) culling by some growers.  Untill
this is resolved, one can be sure more of the time with "true"
"originators Stock".
Ran Lydell