Re: TC and OS

Chick wrote:

> To Joanne -
> Yes there are tons of hostas out there that have never been in tc.  The tc
> labs produce plants by the thousands and so do not bother with those that do
> not sell in the thousands.  If you took the lists of the major labs and
> eliminated the duplicates, there probably aren't more than a few hundred
> varieties in tc out of the who knows how many are out there.  They seem to
> stick to the new varieties and the old standards like 'Francee' and such that
> are big sellers in the mass market.
>
> To Jim -
> There you go gettin scientific on us again.  Usin them big words don't scare
> me none, cause I don't have to know what I'm talkin about to give my opinion.
> Never have.
>
> To Ran-
> My thoughts on the Perennial Growers Assn policy - what good is a policy that
> you know nobody is going to pay the least bit of attention to.  What nonsense.
>
> I think that if this kind of information is going to be provided, it should
> have some purpose, and therefore has to have some meaning that the reader
> understands. If it doesn't help the customer in some way, its useless
> information, and if the customer doesn't know what it means, it can't help
> much.
>
> The only time I can recall mentioning a plant as being OS is in my current
> catalog in regard to 'Spilt Milk', and I did it because the tc plants of
> 'Spilt Milk' are variable to say the least, and in some cases worthless
> (although I will say that Alex Summers gave me some of what he calls 'Green
> Milk' and it ain't half bad).  In some cases, it does matter because there are
> some plants that the labs can't seem to do well, but I would not pay an extra
> dime for OS of 'Krossa Regal' because I don't think anybody could tell the
> difference.
>
> In most cases, I think well grown tc plants are just as good as divisions.
>
> Chick

and if properly culled, no one can tell the difference.  I agree with you
about the ruling from the Perennial association.  But as the vast
majority of companies that sell Hostas, are perennial nurseries, and not
just Hosta specialest,  this will continue to be a question untill the
Prennial Association folks wake up .
Ran Lydell