Re: TC and OS

Jim Hawes wrote:

> Chick wrote:
> >
> > Any time I can start a discussion that gets people upset with one another I get
> > a rare sense of accomplishment.
> >
> > Jim, I don't do tc and don't know a lot about it, but question why if tc is as
> > reliable as division, why are there so many culls in tc.  Are the culls only
> > related to variegation patterns or do they cull plants that are not identical
> > for any other reasons.  According to Alex Summers, the 'Aphrodite' tc plants he
> > got had many different petal counts, so there are apparently some differences
> > there too.  It also seems to me that some of the tc I have had don't seem to
> > grow well as a group, but that could be due to cultural conditions.
> >
> > Chick

> Dear Chick, Ran and others interested,
>
> - When two or more people enter into a discussion over a controversial
> subject,
>
> -When these participants have differnet experiences, interests,
> backgrounds and scholastic training,
>
> -When participants have different motives, personalities and skills in
> expressing themselves,
>
> -When terms used and meanings of words are different among these
> participants,
>
> -When no guidelines have been decided upon, regarding what is being
> discussed and why.................
>
> Then there is bound to be some differences of opinions and different
> final positions taken by these participants in the discussion. This is
> what has happened in our discussion about hostas derived from tissue
> culture and originator stock. The discussion has nothing to do with
> friendship between Ran Lydell and Jim Hawes which has been firmly
> established and will last a lifetime. Nor has it to do with Chick's
> skill in instigating a debate and getting people upset.
>
> As I analyze the evolution of the discussion, it has wandered all over
> the hosta landscape but has not focused on a principle issue. There is
> no agreement of what we are talking about. One or two people may believe
> that the issue of the relative merits of tissue culture rests on how
> many "culls" result in tissue culture...as opposed to division
> separation from originator stock parent plants. In my view, this is not
> even the issue being discussed. Why? Because some among us are obviously
> trying to compare two phenomena without fully understanding the
> phenomena themselves.  This is obvious to me because of the erroneous
> use of terms, lack of knowledge by some participants about the tc
> process, the parameters used in defining measurements and their lack of
> uniformity. I can give an extreme example to make my point..........
>
> How can one say that OS is better, more reliable, works better....or any
> other defintion to describe a qualitative or quantitative measurement
> when you are comparing different things under different circumstances?
> For example, one can assume that OS may mean dividing a known,
> [...]
Jim Chick and all
I again want to stress, re: the issue of whether Properly selected,
grown, and culled Tc material is the same as stock selected from the
"type" from OS.  My answer is yes.  Will I go on listing "naturals" only
, from divisions of originators stock? My answer is yes.  Why?  Because
many buyers want this material.  I DO NOT in most cases charge more for
it , than others do for the same plant out of tC, in fact frequently
less.  In the case of the very few that I charge more for as OS, I offer
plants that are much larger than "usual".
Ran