Re: Fwd: Information Request

JSchw94560@aol.com wrote:

> Any one have an answer for this man?
>
> Name:    Ray Carl (rmcarl@sgi.net)
>  Address: 1212 McCabe Ave.
>  City:    Coraopolis
>  State:   PA
>  Zip:     15108
>
>  My hostas started out fine this spring, but are now turning brown. I don't
> know what

> Subject: Information Request
> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:04:58 -0400 (EDT)
> From: JSchw94560@aol.com
> To: JSchw94560@aol.com
>
> Name:    Ray Carl (rmcarl@sgi.net)
> Address: 1212 McCabe Ave.
> City:    Coraopolis
> State:   PA
> Zip:     15108
>
> My hostas started out fine this spring, but are now turning brown. I don't
> know what to do for them.

Here in the Milwaukee area, we had some fine, hot, sunny days late in
April (80 degrees plus).  The large trees that provide shade in many
gardens had not yet leafed out.  I have noticed that lancifolia hostas
have burned in some of those yards.  Those plants will look just fine in
May of 1999.  In the event that an owner doesn't want to look at brown
edges all this season, I have advised cutting off all leaves with burnt
edges now; even if it is half of the leaves, the plant will respond with
new leaves, I think.  One owner with over 200 lancifolias on a hillside
said, "No, thanks," but another with only 7-8 plants said she would try
it.		Irwin Johnson