Re: Vole Eliminators

Giboshi@aol.com wrote:

> Our cats keep the voles and mice population WAY DOWN.  Just found
> another in
> our driveway-minus its head.......................

Ah Giboshi;
    If only my cat went outdoors! I use to have the absolute best
Himalayan male in the world where we use to live. As a small kitten, he
could neither climb or get out of trees. His later in life "wife",
actually had to teach him to climb both up and down. I watched them many
a time. He matured though, and became a true killer who walked many
miles each day, up and down our valley hunting what ever he could find.
To the great delight of the neighborhood. He caught everything from
flying squirrels to snakes and everything in between. At age 6, he
finally gave out and died of a heart attack on a 98* day, while out
hunting. What a trooper he was!
    We later moved to our present home and acquired our 3rd "hemi"
kitten. But the neighbor above us had the rather dubious reputation of
shooting every cat and dog and the occasional kid that happened across
his property! So this young lady never went outside, and after ruining 2
complete sets of curtains was declawed.  Then the tyrant up and moved,
leaving the neighborhood  in peace. Everyone in our "division" installed
the underground electric fence system to keep our dogs in our own yards,
and still continue to use them, so I'm not afraid of Miss Maude getting
chased up a tree by a dog, but since she's now 3 years old, I'm afraid
to let her outside on her own.
    We have the woods at the edge of the yard, and a small stream just
across the road. So you would think we would have a snake or two. So far
though all we've seen is one very long black snake skin in our hollow
tulip poplar tree.
    The voles, moles and chipmunks are so thick around here, you can't
even imagine the damage!

    Carrie  zone 5&6  Ohio