Re: Vole Eliminators

Internet Hosta Society Members, (crazy idea)

I have 3 cats and a Jack Russell Terrier. My Jack Russell would control the
voles If he were outside all of the time. Mostly he is in the house. If my
dog is not watched he will dig up my hostas. He can dig as much as 100 feet
of mole run in an hour. He goes back day after day and spot checks runs he
has dug previously. I grow a lot of TC liners and my dog digs them up and
tosses them out of his way. This means I have to watch him or follow up
where he's been digging. I don't have that much time.

I also find dead voles and mice that my cats catch. Three years ago I had 7
cats. Even 7 cats did not work for me.

I am glad to hear cat do work for some folks. If they work for you I think
they are the best possible answer.

BTW I replaced 8 baits this evening. All of the activity occurred in 2 out
of my 25 feeders. I am using "Ramik"  mouse and rat baits. I always fill
each feeder to a 10 count to monitor activity. In this same area I have 12
H. 'Francee' that are 3 years old. Half of this patch is very stunted this
year. I also have(had) 12 H. 'Brother Ronald' and a third of them are
stunted and 2 are gone. I hate when that happens. In this same area 2 H.
'Patroit' are gone and 3 out of 12 are stunted. I could go on but I'd rather
not bring up the memories.

I would guess I have lost $200 worth of hostas over this past winter to
voles.
Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7