Re: 'Aristocrat'

In a message dated 5/31/1998 7:50:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
gw1944@vermontel.com writes:

<< Has anyone had a similar experience. >>
Glen as written about the "irregular" borders on two of his plants of H.
'Aristocrat'. I just looked at an image I downloaded of the plant last year,
shortly after I acquired it and then looked at plant today.
The image shows an "irregular" border on the larger leaves. The plant in the
ground now has two or three divisions and all the leaves have the type of
border Glen mentions except the new growth.
I 'd say this is to be expected from a sport of a blue or green hosta. (I like
the border.)
Also, I am having a hard time thinking of a green or blue centered hostas that
does not have three colors in the leaf. The green ones have a sorta chartruese
maculation in the center but near the border(e.g., Sugar and Cream); or a sort
of grey-green color(e.g. Leola Fraim);  and the blue ones will have lighter
blue markings.(With some, this third color can only be seen close up( e.g.
Green Gold)).

Is there a hosta with a "perfect" border? Maybe Change of Tradition? Even
those with what might be called "uniform-in- width" borders(e.g. Francee) will
on close inspection have some of the border color jagging its way into the

Clyde Crockett z5 ccredux@aol.com