Artificial Shade

    A question was raised yesterday about artificial shade for hostas. For
the first time I have used shade cloth  on perpendicular screens  in my
garden. I have done a lot of transplanting this year and have a number of 2
nd year seedings which I am hardening off. I work mostly with  with pieces
of shade cloth 5' tall and of varying lengths. I have folded over a 2"
piece of fabric at either end of the cloth and sewn  it from top to bottom
thus creating a channel for a 6' garden rod. Once the rods are in  I
partially surround  the vulnerable section of sunnny garden using other
rods  to help the banner- shade- cloth conform to the  shape I need. These
screens are not unattractive and are easily moved and stored.Had I realized
the possibility I would have chosen  shade cloth with  different colored
green stripes in it  and have been more intentional about  the decorative
possibilities.
Glen Williams   Vt. 5a