Re: Vole Eliminators

Ken,
This is my understanding of what happens when a pet eats a poisoned vole.

The dose received by the dog or cat would be very small because of pet/vole
weight ratio. A six pound cat and a one ounce vole have a weight ratio of
ninety-six to one.  If a vole ate ninety six times the lethal dose of the
poison and a cat ate the dead vole the cat would also receive a lethal dose.
This is not very likely. Or,  if a cat ate 96 dead voles it would also
receive a lethal dose. Not likely either.

I have never known my pets to eat a dead vole. Usually they just kill it and
play with it. All dead rodents should be disposed of.

The active ingredient is a blood thinner. A small dose has no effect.
Vitamin K is the antidote.

If the pet gets into the baits we have a real problem. It is very important
that pet proof feeders are used.

If we are lucky maybe Rick G. will step in here. I know he works with
poisons and LD/50 studies. I would like a more educated opinion on this
question myself.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7