Re: Preen Questions

I would be careful about getting the granules of preen down into the
unfurling leaves of hostas.

I know Preen is safe around hostas and hostas are on the label. I am
only suggesting that these lodged granules may cause a little
discoloration of the hosta leaf, but no permanent damage.

I have no personal experience with Preen. My warning is just a hunch.

I would try to be sure that every granule of Preen made it to the soil
surface when spread.
I am using the pre-emergent herbicide Surflan this year for the first
time. It too is listed for hostas and 1.5 to 3 ounces does 1000 sq.
feet. The cost is 55 cents per ounce or 82 cents to $1.65 to treat 1000
sq. ft.

Surflan is mixed with Roundup as per label instructions. I am saving
labor by applying both a pre emergent and a post emergent herbicide at
the same time in one spraying. I heard about this mix right here on
hosta-open and then read the directions for use right on the Surfan
label. This mix is not to be sprayed on plants you don't want to kill.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7