From: THOMAS E. TILLERY <ttillery@mail.atl.bellsouth.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 1999 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: Lack of vigor?

Clyde,
     There seems to be a problem this year unlike any year I can
remember. My
neighbors wouldn't know a herbecide from a coctail so I'm ruling that
one out. I
lost about 25 of my favorite plants to this syndrom and none in the same
spot. It
breaks your heart to have a favorite plant get this disease. I am using
Immunox
from Spectracide to treat my entire garden, it's systemic and clear. I
hate the
white residue left from most fungicides. In the south, we used to call
it
Southern Blight but this seems different. Of course I've dug up the
infected
plants , soaked them like you suggested and replanted them in pots away
from the
garden. The Immunox seems to be working.
       If anyone else has a better remedy, please let us all know.
Thanks,
Tom

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/9/1999 10:48:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
> mike.groothuis@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> <<  Has anyone else had this problem?
>  Is it some sort of virus or disease? I am sure it has nothing to do
with
>  crown rot. Please help! I can send a pic of it to the pixlist if it
>  would help. >>
>  It is probably:
> 1. A fungus
> 2. Do you or your neighbors have a lawn service? If so it could be the
> effects of a herbicide.
>
> Suggestion: Dig up plants. Soak roots in a fungicide solution.  Pour a
Clorox