Draw String Effect and Sand

Last year I transplanted three hosta that have always exhibited
"drawstring" effect into an area that was very, very sandy.  The three
hosta were "creme de menthe", "evening magic", and a "norhtern exposure"
that had always displayed this tendency.

After transplanting I noticed that the "evening magic" had shown new growth
without and drawstring effect.  The other two didn't shown any new growth.

This spring the northern exposure is just fine = ie no drawstring.  Creme
de menthe and evening magic only have drawstring on prior years buds - the
growth from new buds displays no drawstring effect.

Is there any scientific explanation for this?  Can anyone help me?  Has any
one else had similiar experience with "drawstring effect"

Roy Dales
Milton, VT