[Fwd: Draw String Effect and Sand]

You ask "Can I explain drawstring effect"?  I don't know.  I will try.

Sometimes hosta with light, varigated edges - usually white or  yellow with
a green leaf - will display a "drawstring effect" from the tissue - usually
the white of yellow edge, growing at a slower rate than the green tissue
which composes the main body of the leaf. Thus when it unfurls the outer
edge or lighter colored tissue does not expand or grow as quick as the
green part of a leaf, so the leaf looks like it has been opened by someone
pulling a string through it edges.

Or as better explained by C.H. Falstad, III  - please don't accuse me of
plagarism - the leaf distortion cause during the expansion of the interior
of the leaf blade with a corresponding lesser expansion of the margin
tissue, usually resulting from a narrow white margin and green or gold
center; i.e. H. Lunar Eclipse.

Back to me talking/writing again.  Hosta Evening Magic and Creme de menthe
also display this tendency.

Roy Dales
Milton, VT
Z 3/4