exposed roots

Some of my hostas have some congestion going on. There are roots of some thickness above ground does this mean the hosta needs dividing or do I put more soil on top. The plant seems to be planted properly in all aspects. I hoped one of the more experienced could lend a hand.  I also am looking for someone who has and extensive collection of hostas green with gold edge.  The stems of blossoms stand very erect unlike any hosta in my yard. I have a varigated sport from this plant but need to properly identify the parent. Someone else had replied they to have a similar plant but lost the info.  If I have to I will send out plants to solve this identity crisis. I have 'Gold Crown' 'Ellerbroek' 'Green Gold' It is very similar to all of these but the leaf seems thicker and the stems are grouped nicely and go striaght up.
Cheryl Nelson
zone 3 Spicer MN