Re: cotyl

>The first two leaves on dicots bear no resemblence to the true leaves
>that will come afterwards.  On hostas, that ain't the case.  The
>first leaf exhibits the characteristics of the leaves that follow.

That is true.  Dicot cotyledons don't look anything like the true
leaves that follow while in mocots the cotyledons look very much like
the true leaves that emerge later.  I think that is what Ben is
getting confused over.  They are still cotyledons because they are
part of the embryo - they exist inside the seed.  The size of the
cotyledons in hostas after they germinate is due mostly to expansion
of cell diameter.

Joe Halinar