Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #389

> Subject: Hosta Lady
> Hi Everyone,
> I just heard about a place where they sell a lot of
> hostas.  All I know
> is
> that they call her The Hosta Lady and she's located
> in the White Bear
> Lake,
> MN area.  Has anyone that lives around this area
> ever heard about this
> lady?

The Shady Ladies garden in WBL is awesome! Two of the
three women involved have turned their yards into
display gardens. The third one grows them at her
"farm" a couple of blocks away. When we were looking
for a specific hosta last summer, she walked me over
to the hosta farm for a tour. She used to be an estate
gardner prior to becoming involved in this retail
venture. Its quite an amazing place. I think this
adventure last summer is what really got me excited
about hostas.

They have a good selection of hostas. Their prices are
reasonable. Most plants are fairly small, but healthy.
Everything that I bought from them is doing
beautifully. They also sell shade tolerant,
non-mildewing phlox, hybrid lilies, daylilies, and
other shade-tolerant plants. Its worth a visit, even
if you don't buy anything. They're an interesting and
extremely helpful bunch.

Their first sale is this weekend, starting on Friday,
May 21. They are just north of Hwy 96 (runs between
the north edge of White Bear Lake and Stillwater),
between East County Line and Portland Ave. (a couple
miles east of WBL). If you can find Hwy 96 out of WBL
heading east, I'm sure there will be signs directing
you to their location.

Yvonne Cadwallader

Do You Yahoo!?