Re: divison off a streaked plant

Bob ..It has been my experience ...that striated hosta clumps which begin to put up a stable form i.e. one color, and/or marginal, or medio-variegated leaves... and this applies to seedlings as well:
1.. these stable types do not go back to a striated nature...
2.. these are mostly useless for variegated-objective-breeding; in that, resulting offspring from stable hostas are mostly one monochrome-color leaf progeny (generally speaking?).
      If you have the time ..dig the whole clump and divide the crown to it's maximum potential (bud cutting included?).
     As a final note, pertaining to your "give away hypthesis?" ..my suggestion is:
-(a)- firstly and if possible ..use the streak (stablized types?) in a formal landscape job, somewhere ..perhaps in some out of the way place, since they will look much different when they have reached maturity; and then, you may want to make use of them again?
-(b)- of course, if your first option is to trash the stable types ..then by all means the "give away" option is good ..nice goodwill gesture to get folks hooked on hostages :))

just some thoughts ..hopefully helpful to you

Bill Nash