Japan climate

I have been mainly south of Tokyo and north of Hiroshima in Japan
I was surprized to see so many plants like oranges, persimmon
rice, Camelia ( many growing wild) etc only to be found in Europe
in Spain  The climate as told is hot ( 35 C = 95 F and very wet in
june july. Winter has only a few days with frost I now understand
why we have problems growing some hostas both cv and species It
is simply too cold in our dutch summer!
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden