Re: Washers and toilets

Hi Beth and list,
I find this interesting --kind of like taking the catalytic converter off of a
car (I have always thought this a terrible action on the part of the auto owner
and find that most who do are not very in tune with the need for high quality
air.  They are often smokers).

This change truly IS for the benefit of the whole of society, not for the few.
If we are this resistant to change to save on the needless consumption of water
(and these front loaders have been used for years by commercial laudry outfits
with the knowledge that they do just as good a job at cleaning clothes but save
significantly on the water bill), I wonder what our reaction is when medical
researchers point out what we can do to prevent the incidence of cancer.  Do we
just go on smoking, for example, or do we actually take the warnings to heart
and do something about it?

I know you Beth, and I respect a lot of what you say about plants and the genus
Hosta.  But I am confused as to why so many avid Republicans seem prone to want
to fight these excellent, evironmentally conscientious measures?   Just because
it clogs the sewer now and then doesn't mean the water saver lavoratories
aren't a great idea.  Think of how many millions and millions of folks use that
same appliance everyday and never have trouble.

Maybe its time to quit fighting it and recognize that we are all in this
together and improving our quality of life isn't all about making or having
more money (the short term profit mentality of Wall Street).  It can be just
about having a better environment in which we can enjoy life, for ourselves and
our grandchildren.  We may occassionally have to flush twice, and recycle, and
use front load washers and catalytic converters.  Not a problem for me...

Andrew L.