(: --> sharing of hosta seeds? delete now, if you never share anything! -- ;) and LOL!

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: (: --> sharing of hosta seeds? delete now, if you never share anything! -- ;) and LOL!
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:31:25 -0500

A PREAMBLE ABOUT...
                               *LINE BREEDING* ... a process of hybridizing
whereby, a specific plant species & characteristics & type is
self-pollinated, and then, the best resulting sister plants are
cross-pollinated in the next generation.   This process; of selfing in one
generation and crossing in the next filial generation; and repeating this
process, until the desired uniformity (purity of a seed strain?) is met <->
maybe makes a lotta sense?

By applying the line-breeding application/method; specific flower types,
having inherent gene-pool characteristics, can be grown from seed; and sold
likewise at Nurseries, since these generally do come true to type.  One of
the best examples, of line-bred perfection, is probably, the Delphinium
seed-strain known as 'Pacific Giant Hybrids'.  The creator/introducer of
these seed-strains, who did one for every color in the Delphinium color
range spectrum -- (the late Mr. Frank Reinalt?) -- performed 25 generations
of line-breeding; in every Delphinium color category. He died in 1959, but
his various 'Pacific Giant' types of Delphiniums, are still sold today at
Nurseries throughout North America -- not a bad *Monumental Seed Stain* he
made -- i.e. considering -- it is still in demand, after 50 years of being
on the Saleables benches?  Likewise, the Russell Lupins, are another
example of: Line Breeding Perfection!

LINE BREEDING HOSTAS? ..<-and-> why not do this with STREAKED
````````````````````  In 1993, a large wholesale Nursery
supplier/distributor in Ontario, suggested that I might be concentrating on
line breeding of hostas; so that, he could buy all the seedlings I could
provide him with for his business.  He wanted those having large blue
leaves; white flowers; and being, large sized plants!  He needed these for
Landscaper's wants & demands?  "Hmmm? ..Not bad!", I thought to myself. A
carte-blanche order for hosta seedlings.  The very idea & thought of
flooding the hosta-markets with line bred hostas, grown from seed, seemed
very intriguing, at that time? LOL!
                         One of my seed strains, which I call 'Big Blue &
White'; that is, the line breeding of Ryan's Big One, was my final product
for large blue leaf & white flowering objectives; but the funny part of all
this work & story is, I can't be bothered to dig huge-mature & established
plants for anyone, because it is too much hard work? ..even though, the
unlimited carte blanche order is still in play/motion! ;) *grinningly stated*

NOW? -- THE *OKLAHOMA HOSTA SOCIETY SEED BANK* is just about ready to Rock
n' Roll, with it's Seed Sales -- thanks to seed-donations from many
hosta-folks assembled via Internet.  Sincere thanks to all who participated?
              *MY FRONT LINE PRODUCT* was mailed to Betsy Mahtani last
week. I sent a limited quantity of LINE-BRED seed-packets (containing a
full heaping teaspoon of seeds in each) for the Oklahoma Seed Bank <<OSB>>
Sales & Distribution objectives.  Betsy Mahtani, should be taking delivery
of that mailing this week, since it went out via AIR MAIL. This seed, is
another one of my LINE-BREEDING efforts I'm working with; and which, I am
calling "{Variegated Kids.2001? <-> Guaranteed!}" -- and formerly
distributed under the name "Let's Streak", in previous years.  The Let's
Streak seed-strain, was sold to raise money for the Hosta Library, and some
other Hosta Societies have also used it in their Seed Banks as well, and so
did Iril Kolle's Seed Bank in Norway, so no doubt, many here have tried it
before.  It does get better every year, and I'd like to ask "Who else is
guaranteeing variegated results"?

Anyone interested in obtaining this STREAK'potential hosta seed from the
Oklahoma Seed Bank; and/or wishing to donate seed to same, is invited to
contact:  "Betsy Mahtani"<bmathani@flash.net> via email, (and/or myself?)
-- please use her mailing address below.  The minimum purchase for the
*Variegated Kids.2001? ..Guaranteed!* the line-bred seed-strain
guaranteeing same is: $5.00, for one full-teaspoon-packet.  Each additional
packet (teaspoon?) is $5.00 per teaspoon packet.  I am guaranteeing
variegated hosta seedling results and thank you all very kindly in
advance?  The quantity of this seed-strain is limited, so this is being
sold on a FIRST COME ..FIRST SERVED BASIS, until <<OSB>> is sold out?  BTW
...the Ontario Hosta Society Seed Bank, was also mailed some of this same
seed, but I don't know Bob Murphy's email address (he's the present OHS
seed chairman) -- they usually sell to members only, at a dollar a packet.

Hope y'all will plant some future happiness & excitement and will enjoy
results with same, for a long time to come.

Please use the mailing address below.. and make cheques payable to "OSB,
Betsy Mahtani" -- all proceeds are donated to the Oklahoma Hosta
Societies.  Thanks in advance.

OKLAHOMA HOSTA SOCIETY SEED BANK
C/O:  Mrs. Betsy Mahtani
Route 1, Box 213BB,
CLEVELAND, OKLAHOMA, USA.
74020

and remaining HOSTA'lly yours,

email =  raffi@sympatico.ca
WiN   = William Nash
mail   = 157 Harvard Road,
            Guelph, Ontario, CA
            N1G4L3

ps... to those of U? ..who I used bribery and/or intimidation enticement
tactics; that is, to get ya t'send seeds into Oklahoma?  And which was: a
promise to send you a free sample from my personal seed-collections here!
..Please send me your mailing address? ..and I will be happy to accomodate
you?  When you email me your mailing address, maybe indicate the type of
hosta seedling results you might like to see, one never knows, I may be
able to do just that?  Thank you kindly for your participation; patience
reading this and...

;-B)) "hope everyone plants some future happiness & excitement, for many
years to come"

"SHARING HOSTA SEEDS WITH OTHERS? ..IS GIVING THEM SOME OF YOUR LOVING!" (a
Ben Zonneveld quotable?)

<<just kidding BEN?>> (hehe) ..please ignore me? LOL!