Re: Election

In a message dated 11/12/00 4:26:38 PM Central Standard Time,
bobaxe@sbtek.net writes:

<< Hi Kate
    I don't want to start a whole other discussion about unions but what
 can the union do when the third worlds are undercutting us in labor
 costs. You said yourself that is higher productivity that is keeping
 us afloat with our high labor costs and benefits compared to other
 countries. >>

Bob asked a question and the following answer is not necessarily an
endorsement.

Tariffs on imported products
Raising the level of the basic American education. In most of Europe
especially Germany, they go to school longer during the year and spend more
years just for their basic education.
Promoting workers rights in the third world raising there standards.
Listening to the American worker. There is no one who knows how to do the job
better than the people who do it.
A greater focus on quality (just like in hostas most people don't mind paying
more for quality)
Greater focus on technology.
In the top ten industrialized nations except the US, CEO's of corporations on
the average make 46 times more than the workers. In the US the CEO's make 126
times what the average worker makes. In my humble opinion, the CEO's aren't
worth it.
Reduce the multiple levels of management (downsizing)
Promoting research and development.
Promoting Civil Rights and we've come a long way in twenty years.
Offering benefits other than money to increase productivity. Child care, good
health insurance, stock options, retirement benefits, profit sharing etc.

This isn't an all inclusive list but it's just off the top of my head.

Solidarity, Katherine A. Klass
                4439 Valhalla Road
                New Franken, WI. 54229
                phone 1-920-866-2413