Re: Subject ... debates, politics and Hostas

In a message dated 11/12/2000 7:56:38 AM Central Standard Time,
NardaA@aol.com writes:

<<   My question is are there other
 plants that have sets of chromosomes in the category that Andrew asks about
 and do they reproduce freely?   >>

Yes, there are-but right off the top of my head I can give a specific example.

Hosta species are all ready a polyploidic genus to begin with.  The ancestor
that has given rise to the plants we call Hosta. Hostas have a very large
number of chromosomes with 60.

As plants evolve they some times tend to accumulate more genetic material
than animals do, and thus have higher gene counts and a greater occurrence of
polyploid species and forms.

I do not think that the use of polyploids is going to make to much of a
diffrent in Hosta breeding-not like it has for Hemerocallis.

What looks more promising is the use of odd taxa from China. Japan and Korea.
Some of the "newer" species look to have a wealth of genetic material that
breeds can incorporate into their breeding programs.

Since it appears that Hosta is a young genus, the species have not had the
time to develop ways to isolate them selves from each other and freely
With the current species existing as geographically isolated populations.