Fall clean up

Well, over the week end I finished most of my fall clean up and put the pots
to bed under straw and tarps.

Cut down a lot of Buckthorn, a weed that is very destructive in wood lands.

The ducks are finally flying down from the North and they are making a lot of
noise on the lake, soon it will freeze over and most of them will be gone.

Cleaned out a few bird houses and one of them was full of squatters.

Turned the house over to shake out the "old" nest and a mouse jumped out and
landed on me. It scampered around a little on my chest and then fell to the
ground and darted off under a brush pile.  Looking in the hole of the bird
house I could see another mouse's tail. I started to shake the house more and
a very cute pair of black eyes attached to a small furry head with two white
feet, stared at me perched in the hole of the bird house.

The above routine played out eleven more times. It was a very amusing time, I
would shake the bird house- a mouse would stick it's head out the hole, to
see if it was safe to jump. we would look at each other for about 30 seconds
and it would jump out and scamper away.  One ran up the tree the bird house
was on.

The 12 mice that came out of the bird house plus the two chased out of a
piece of carpet used to cover the post means I need to put down some more
"Rodent Food" for the winter.

Thankfully so far this year I have not seem any voles-hate them. They like to
eat my potted Hosta and ASTILBE in the winter, they also love the grasses.

Last spring I had a number of lemmings-which was a first.