Re: Hello again

First, propagating Hosta by leaf cutting would probably be a waste of time
even if you could do it.  Remember, that variegated Hosta are Chimeras of
two differing cell layers (one for each 'color' in the variegation).  New
buds (adventitious) that develop in leaf cuttings would be from only one
layer and hence would loose the variegation.  I have produced leaf cuttings
of Hosta in TC, but they are not reproducible and not variegated.

Second, I think your fastigate (upright growing) yew may be a Cephalotaxus
(plum yew) instead of a Taxus (true yew).  Cephalotaxus have longer needles
than yews and often produce fastigate forms.  Some plum yew forms also are
low growing growng ground covers.  Both 'yews' must be grown from upright
growing cuttings to maintain the upright, fastigate, growth form.  Yews are
taken as cuttings after the first frost, stripped of the lower leaves, and
dipped into a talc based rooting compound (8000 ppm IBA + Thiram) such as
Hormodin.  They are put into a sand (or sphagnum/perlite 50% mixture) beds
in a cool greenhouse and left all winter to root.  The cuttings are
occasionally misted by hand and treated with fungicide.  Cephalotaxus is
rooted the same way, but does not give as high a percentage of success as
Taxus does.  Both are sucessptable to fungal problems during rooting, so
should be treated with a fungicide.  I have rooted Cephalotaxus in the late
spring in a misting bed as well, but the technique given above works well
and is easier.

Jim Anderson
Winterberry Farms TC