Re: AHS Publications & HIF

In a message dated Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:24:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
plittleton@ce.net writes:

<< I'm surprised that there has been no forthcoming statements about the AHS
Journal. How about it,Kevin? When is the Journal coming out??>>

Answer:  It went to the printer this morning, thus, as in the past three Fall
issues it should be mailed by December 1, if nothig bad happens at the
rpinter.

<< I know this has been discussed before... Personally, I'm not interested in
the Directory BUT I think it should be available to those that need or want
it.
Several possibilities come to mind:
      1.Website
      2."Cheap" publication sold to cover printing expenses
      3. Different types of memberships for those that do or do not want
Directory and Yearbook (probably the least feasible option)
      4. Status quo
      5. Have a supplement to the Directory to only list the new members>>

Answer:  As Vice-President of publications I am working on this but I believe
it will be a developmental process.  I appreciate your taking the time to
provide me with your thoughts on the matter.   I expect the next Directory
will come out sometime next summer and will be produced at a lower cost.
Kass is looking into a lower cost paper and format.  I am taking your other
options under advisement as I review the "next steps" after the 2001
Directory.  I believe our goals are similar and I have had the opportunity to
discuss this with Chick, and others, at HIF over this past weekend.

I sure others can come up with even more ideas!!

<< I'm also surprised about the lack of postings about Hosta in Focus...or
have I just missed them.>>

Answer:  I think you missed them.  I was posting at least a message a week
for about 5 weeks regarding HIF.  It was held this past weekend and at least
5 attendees have e-mailed me that they thought it was the best one yet and
are already looking forward to next year's meeting.  Sorry you missed it.