Polyploid Sum and Substance?

This not about the election, so you can delete the message now.  However, a
few of you may be interested in this bit of Hosta trivia.

Ran Lydell gave us a Hosta to TC last year called Eagle's Nest which is a
sport of Sum and Substance.  The plant has a dark green center and a wide
yellow-green edge.  It is more shinny than Sum and Substance and has more
substance.  However, it does not grow as vigorously as the parent S&S.  Both
Ran and I have suspected that the plant might be a polyploid due to its
growth characteristics.

Now, after growing the plant in TC for a year, I have these observations.
Like most variegated Hosta, the plant is only partially stable to TC and
produces a number of dark green off types and light green off types (the two
parts of the original variegated plant).  What is interesting, is that the
light green types are indistinguishable from Sum and Substance in color and
growth habit.  The dark green types are very different from S&S.  They are
very slow growing (probably will produce a small Hosta) and have tremendous
substance. These observations point to a chimeric polyploid where the dark
green cell layer (center of leaf) is probably polyploid and the light green
cell layer (the edge of the leaf) is not.  This is in contrast to H. Bottom
Line where both the off types (dark green from the center and gold from the
edge) grow with fairly equal vigor (similar to S&S).

It is also possible that the dark green form is the result of another type
of mutation.  We have isolated several other of these possibly chimeric
polyploids (Fragrant Bouquet > Winter Bouquet, Guacamole > Jade Stone, and
Christmas Tree > Christmas Lights) none of which show this large reduction
in growth rate of the resultant sport.

Jim Anderson
Winterberry Farms TC