Re: Polyploid Sum and Substance?

In a message dated 11/14/2000 9:13:48 AM Central Standard Time,
JmaHosta@WinterberryFarms.com writes:

<< These observations point to a chimeric polyploid where the dark
 green cell layer (center of leaf) is probably polyploid and the light green
 cell layer (the edge of the leaf) is not. >>

The only way to confirm polyploidy is by looking at the chromosomes, certain
growth characteristics may indicate possible polyploid, but it's like says
"There are clouds in the sky-it's going to rain today" sometimes it's true
but many times it is not.

Chimeric ploidy plants is an interesting concept-do you know if there is any
documentation, I have no evidence to back up my objection, but I would think
that diffrent rates of growth between the cell layers would be large enough
to cause the cell lines to fail to join together.

Is the increase in substance a result of cuticle thickening or is the entire
leaf thicker?

Paul