Re: ploidy of S # S (& Chimeras)

In a message dated 11/15/2000 10:02:00 AM Central Standard Time,
andrewl@hostahaven.com writes:

<<
 Paul--Could you elaborate on your statement about some TC plants not
 growing well?   I'm particularly interested in discovering whether my
 conclusion, i.e. that good or poor adaptation to growing-on TC liners in
 containers has more to do with the plants inherited genetics
 (species/parentage), than to factors relating to the specific means of
 propagation.

I was not disparaging Tissue cultured plants-For me too they grow better than
many field dug ones.

But sometimes you come across a line that does not grow like it should or out
of the norm of the original plant.

As an example many years ago I bought 36 'Great Expectations' -- lets just
say after seven years they are no larger than they were after I bought them.
But new plants of Great Expectations that I have bought have performed
reasonable well.

When plants develop High polyploid counts growth becomes week and tissue can
be brittle and "watery"

On the question of Triploids- they are sterile-resulting from crosses between
tetraploids and diploids. unreduced gametes.

What I have noticed about the tissue cultured plants that do not want to grow
is that the plants appear to be at a stage of growth were the plant is in
"rest." The tissues are in a state of quiescence and a cooling period or
induced dormancy usually "wakes" them up.

Paul