Re: ploidy of S # S (& Chimeras)

In a message dated 11/15/2000 10:02:00 AM Central Standard Time,
andrewl@hostahaven.com writes:

 For a while, I was looking at a tray of H. 'Big Daddy' (TC plants) and
 saying, "What is wrong with you? Grow, grow!!!".  They looked anemic--no
 growth, the edges of the leaves were browning, and I thought they were
 dying or had contracted some disease.  Eventually, as I was repotting and
 moving some of the blues into the ground for wintering over, I discovered
 that for many of these, all of the growth activity had been going on in the
 root systems >>

Yes-the "blues" do not grow after they put out their first flush of leaves,
the roots are actively growing. Every year I pot up small "Love Pats" and
Blue Mammoths" and every fall I look at them and wonder-are they going to
sell next year-they have not changed in four months.  But spring comes and
they are all gone in only a few weeks, having tripled or more their size.
Big daddy is one of those Hosta were you can have 100 plants and 50 will grow
real well and 50 will not grow.