From: andrewl
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Political stuff

Hello again, Beth,
Wall Street seemed to love our having a Democrat for President with a slim majority of Republicans in Congress--I think you'll find a near doubling of total valuation of the DOW in the eight years under President Clinton.  I am MUCH more in favor of moderate deadlock than I am of letting EITHER side have control of both branches, simultaneously.  Under Reagan, our national debt went from 1 Trillion to close to 5 trillion, as I recall (if someone wants to point me to more accurate statistics, I'm all for it).  If the last eight years were given credit for nothing else (and the credit MUST go to both branches of the government), returning us to fiscal sanity and a budget surplus is worth some serious accolades.   I believe a bunch of the credit for a reduction of nearly 350,000 federal jobs needs to go to President Clinton and the Whitehouse Administration.  Wasn't it he that came to the Whitehouse and laid off a whole slew of folks in order to increase efficiency?  I do believe he was the first President in decades to have done so.

If it hadn't been for Kenneth Starr and that Goldxxxx woman wanting to tell me about private matters that I personally did not believe I needed to know about, I believe he would have had a pretty stellar performance.  Now, unfortunately, I know more about his personal sex life than I ever cared to know.  Certainly, if this had occurred to be, the public airing of my personal life, I would have been seeking asyllum in another country where the gestapo tactics of the Kenneth Starr team who have been quashed a long time before that squad got so out of control.   Watch the C-Span tapes on the House Hearing if you don't believe that we were being moved toward a gestapo type of political climate.   That vote for impeachment was 100% down party lines, even when it didn't make sense to pursue, as President Ford had told the House leadership at the onset.

I find it hard to believe that you don't see the longest sustained period of economic growth since we started keeping records as somewhat of an accomplishment...

Now, about those Hostas!

Andrew L.

Beth Arnold wrote:

<< Eight years of nothing actually gained,
 with everyone else getting the blame for Democrat failers, >>

Of course the Republican-controlled Congress had absolutely nothing to do
with this.  Right?

When a president continually threatens to veto everything sent to him for a
signature unless there is something in it for him is the reason I see why
nothing got done.  He is now threatening to veto the budget if he doesn't
get his way on lawbreaking illegal immigrants.  His provision only gives the
lawbreakers rights to live in America as citizens and not the ones who are
here lawfully.  Everyone is scratching their head over this one.
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516