Re: Political stuff & ploidy....

Hi Beth,
I've enjoyed the political debate and mild-mannered bantering about politics.   I do believe we're going to have some more fireworks still, but I'm starting to burn out (on politics--NOT on HOSTAS.  Heaven forbid!!!)  So, I'm going to bow out for a while.... not conceding, mind you... just not ready to cross over into the subversive realm.. .

After they count the ballots for the whole state of Florida RIGHT the next time, maybe we'll all know then who should rightfully get those 25 electoral votes.   I am kind of disappointed that your man won't meet with the current Vice-President of the U.S., but I'm sure he has his perspective.   Seems likely that a total recount will happen since the matter is being turned over to an more unbiased court.  Hopefully, when it is all said and down, no matter how it comes out, everyone there in Florida, and the rest of the USA will feel that the procedure was impartial and that all Floridians who cast votes had those ballots counted correctly.   I trust the Florida Supreme Court will act without much partisanship.  I believe we could see some increased standardization in the appearance of ballots for the NEXT Presidential election even if it is too lat for this one.  All good things for the dear old US of A.

Now, about those Hostas....

I've been intriqued to learn that crosses performed "in situ" (my new word for the day) can yield fairly definite results in DNA content of the resulting progeny.   Ben Zonneveld has shared that this works, and some on why it works.  Now I am back to the original question and still searching.   Is there an "easy way" to determine whether a plant has been converted to tetraploid?  Can one use a microtone and the proper stain, maybe even this propidium iodide, with the use of a light microscope to determine ploidy?  Or must the throughness of Fuelgen micro-spectrophotometry or Flow cytometry be employed?   I imagine it could be a little tough to count 60 chromosomes in a single cell, or would it be?   If properly stained, maybe with a flourescent stain, could this be a technique that could work?   Obviously, it has to be kind of difficult to determine (without the proper analytical technique) or Ben would not have drawn the conclusion from his study that H. 'Hirao Supreme', H. 'Hirao Tetra', and H. 'Hirao Majesty' are actually diploid plants when they had been assumed to be tets for many years....

Any botany gurus with a secret technique that they are willing to share?

--
Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman                http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com

Well,

Stuff2love@cs.com wrote:

Beth Honey they do have medication for this paranoia of yours.