Answersering ploidy questions

As my answers to Andrew were drowned in the reply I give them  again
here separately
If ventricosa (41pg)  crosses with another tetraploid plant like some
Fortuneis (51)The tetraploid offspring will have 1/2 ( 41+ 51) = 46pg.
If ventricosa crosses with a diploid plant let say sieboldiana (25pg)
the  triploid ofspring will have 1/2 (41+25)=33 pg
So this excludes ventricosa as a parent for S&S (39)
If we cross a tetraploid fortunei like some Patriots with a diploid
sieboldiana, the triploid offspring will have 1/2 ( 51+ 25) = 38 pg so
this is most likely.

I did not ask for a full transcript of my article on ploidy, but just
mentioning
the fact that an article has appeared would have been nice
)
diploid  hosta: 2x = 2n = 60 chromosomes
tetraploid Hosta 2n=4x=120
Flow cytometry doen not give chromsome numbers but the amount
of DNA so I can only say that the amount of DNA is twice as high
suggesting a tetraploid For the amount of DNA the C is used So
8C means 8 times as much DNA as in the gamete ( =C).

As Jim said polyploidy in tc is fairly rare An explanation for the
slow growing ones could be : selection for plants adapted to tc but
doing bad in real life This will happen  especially if a tc culture is
not refreshed regularly

All roots in hosta are adventitious roots Divisions or new shoots are
 like ( very short in the case of hosta)branches in a tree

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands