Re: chromosomes

Wow... A day or more... I think I'll be sending you any samples, at least at first...

Thanks for the info!

Andrew L.

zonneveld wrote:

Paul, Andrew and "all" interested
Hosta has 5 large and 25 small chromosomes in a set , just like
Agave! Of course it is possible to look at the chromosomes and
count them, after coloring with Feulgen reagens. I have done that in
houseleeks BUT it is very laborious. Only cells that happen to be in
mitose can be counted that means a lot of searching through cut or
crushed tissue. Alternatively you can take young flowerbuds If they
are at the right stage you could find pollen still in meiose. In both
cases you need a fair  amount of luck a good microscope and
experience. Even then, it could easily take a day or more to do a
single one.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden