Re: election - delete if not interested

Narda, Ran, Beth, and anyone else who still finds this debate intriguing...

<< He has shown for all to see, just what an egotistical fool he really is.
our republic, has hit a real low here. >>
From Narda.... Won't it be impossible for him to command the military after what has
occurred in the last couple of days?  Sad, sad, sad, the way we are treating
our people who are putting their lives on the line for our freedom.  N.

Wowzer... Looks like we're going to see some pharmaceutical stocks skyrocket right through the roof.   This paranoia is contagious!  Let's examine some conjectures, and then some facts.

A while back, I predicted that the FL Supreme Court would be less biased that the Secretary of State, most likely insisting that the vote counts be authenticated by human beings who are much less prone to REPETITIVE ERROR than machines, and that this would be non-partisan.     Now, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the law pertaining to absentee ballots will also be upheld (no postmark invalidates the ballot--How else could you ensure that these were ligitimate votes, submitted in a timely manner? And since when is a service person's vote any more valuable than a civilian's?  Jeepers, Hostaheads, you would think that these folks had been drafted or were royalty, or something.   We have an all volunteer military!  Nobody is making these "civil servants" join up.  Sure they are serving their country but does that entitle them to NOT live under the same rules as the rest of the absentee voters?  In war time, maybe, but we're not at war!  Here is where one can read the county by county tally of the absentee ballots = http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50700&id=200011181909000144099 ).  Ballot  rejection occurred all over the state so it's kind of hard to put together a conspiracy theory for this one....

I am going to also predict that because of Seminole county and the 4,700 ballots that were tampered with  (of the 10,000+ absentee ballots) the Supreme Court will decide that either all counties must be recounted by hand, through a combination of machine and hand, OR there will be a complete re-vote, the latter being much less likely than the former.   However, there WILL be a recount in AT LEAST these three counties.  And, just to be fair to both parties, they MAY insist that ALL counties be recounted.  We absolutely NEED to know that the vote count is accurate, of the best of what is humanly possible to ascertain.  I will also posit that it won't take anywhere near as long as what many in the GOP are estimating.

I'm willing to stick my neck out for this opinion, as well--there is a reason that many in the GOP don't want the votes to be manually counted.  This is because in the three counties that are selected for manual recounts, there are roughly 27,700 "undervotes"--ballots that the machine could not read for one reason or another.  Now, a lot of these votes were cast by senior citizens, more prone to error, and to immigrants, also prone to error.  And, these three counties ARE rather Democratic, or so we've been lead to believe.  By insisting that machines be used to count these votes, the GOP is in essence stating that these 27,700 voters preferences for President don't matter all that much.  They should not be allowed to be counted simply because the "machine knows best" how the person intended to vote.  Fellow Hostaholics, we KNOW better.  The system is flawed, not the people!   The process is flawed and should have been corrected YEARS ago.  It's a shame that it takes an extra close election to address these types of problems, but how else do such things get corrected?  Obviously, humans will need to look at these ballots and make judgements--a machine is simply too stupid.    And, to blame this on the voters is a real stretch..... or to offer that it is some subversive or communist plot.... Please....

Once the list of descrepancies escalates, and they certainly have been increasing as the processes become more closely scrutinized, the archaic equipment coupled with the variations in ballot format and the questionable undervote ballots, will force the Supreme Court to throw up its hands and insist that the only way to ensure fairness is to have a complete recount in at LEAST all three of these counties, and if the GOP has a problem with the results, they may insist that the whole state be recounted.   What won't happen is a re-vote.  This is HIGHLY improbable.  There is simply no way to ensure that this would duplicate what REALLY happened on November 7th, 2000.

This story http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50700&id=200011182317000146452
shows just how hysterical people can become.   First you have the GOP stating that they don't want hand counts, now, in this story, they don't want machine counts.  (to wit: "The machine examination of the ballots was scheduled for 9 a.m. Sunday and should take about eight hours. Republicans hoped the court would act on their filing early enough to stop the machine examination, said Tim Goeglein, a spokesman for the Bush campaign").   We're going to see an accurrate count come out of Florida and it won't have much at all to do with Al or G. Dubya--it will be because the people insist on it....

Finally, I have been a registered Republic more in the last 20 years than I've been a registered Democrat (In Iowa, we have to declare a party affiliation to be entitled to vote in a Primary), and I have voted for Republicans more often than for Democrats (although I did vote for that little weasel with the big ears just because I wanted a real change).   And, because I really don't keep track of which "side" I'm on, preferring instead to vote for the person rather than the party, I am pulling my card out now to verify that I really do have the capital "R" printed on my card.  Yup, it's there.  But, unfortunately, if guys like this Tim Goeglein are an indication of where the party is headed, and some of this hysteria (from my fellow Hostaholics, no less) about the Democrats being mofia agents, or the agents of the Devil, or in conspiracy to turn the country into a communist nation, etc., I think I'm going to have to change this capital R to an "N"--and not for the "N"oble party of the Repulicans, the Party of Abraham Lincoln and a few other illustrious nobles who elude my memory at this late hour--Instead it will be for the we've all gone "N"utso party....

Let's not keep going down this hysteria route.  It's not very becoming and this line that "they're goal is to destroy the country" is making me nauseous.... Of course either man could lead the army.  About like they normally do-- a couple of times each year they march over to the "tomb of the unknown" and everybody gets to salute and act dignified, and then life quickly reverts to normal. The Pentagon and the Chiefs-of-Staff run the military 99.9% of the time... So, next election, they will probably do a better job of getting the doggone ballots in on time and they will be postmarked... You can bet your favorite Hosta bed on that one....

Hosta la Vista :-)

Andrew L.