Re: election - delete if not interested

----- Original Message -----
From: Frances C
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: election - delete if not interested

Thank you for the response.  I may have been misunderstood.  I did not at all intend to defend Al Gore.  I, too, believe that he is egotistical and that it was largely that ego which defeated(?) him.

But he did not say "my friend the greatest president ever."  You see, that is what I mean by distortions.  What he said was that history would recognize Clinton as ONE of our greatest presidents.  I wish I had the exact quote, but I am sure of the "one of " part.  And yes, he did lie often in ways intended to embellish his importance.  I had a theory about that, but it was used by Jacob Weisberg in an article in Slate Magazine entitled "Why Gore (Probably) Lost."  The article appeared about a week ago and I think you would find it interesting.  I hasten to add that it is not a flattering article.

Sorry, but I grit my teeth when I hear or read something that distorts and presents a different (even if only slightly different) meaning.

Although I put Quote marks around that, I realize it was worded a bit differently.  The menaing and intent, was , however, abundently clear.  Al Gore was supporting Bill Clinton, regardless of his lies to a federal grand joury.  But then , that whole bunch seems to be stewing in the same juces.  If these had been Republicans, I would have been no less critical.  It is a bit amazing how sensitive some Democrats have become lately.  There is no reason for this.  I can't imagine what this republic, would become  if we all agreed on everything.  No room for new ideas, or to try new approaches.  I would be the first to sound an alarm if suddenly all Democrats became Republicans and we were reduced to only the one side. ( I would have to leave the party)We really need the two party system, but, also need to insist on total honesty on both sides.  We appear to not be getting that at present.