Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: Anne -- let's talk Hostas

Hi Anne,
RE:>>I have done nothing but delete huge bunches of posts from this list
lately and would love to get back to hostas.
Jump on in here, sister.  Let's talk Hostas!  Don't let us goofballs keep you from asking questions, giving advice, sharing experiences or whatever.  We're just killing time... trying to understand how's come those Floridians can't count, read a ballot, or punch holes where they're supposed to be punched... Just killing time waiting on you to ask a question...

This IS a hosta list server... so.... What's on your mind, Anne?  We ALL love to talk about Hostas.  We won't hold it against you that you're a Notre Dame fan... However, until I get some of my experiments going, I believe I have plum run out of questions...

Wait a minute...I have one and maybe you'll help me answer it, or ask one of your own...I moved a bunch of Hostas into the green house at the beginning of October.  This last week, I decided to let them go dormant.  I watered them one last time and expect to not water them again until February 15th, at the time when I plan to turn up the heat to 45 for two weeks, and then to turn it up to (at least) 55+ about March 1.   Now, maybe by that time they will all be dead because I let them get too cold (gets mighty chilly here in Iowa).   I just have them in containers, setting on the pea gravel in the greenhouse, which is a double-poly structure.  Do I need to cover these containerized Hostas with something, possibly to keep them warmer, with the heat from the earth helping to raise the temps.  Maybe I need to put another layer over the top of them.  I expect the containers will freeze quite solid, but is this going to be a problem IF they are not watered again until the 2/15 date... I know people keep them in an unheated garage so I was hoping that this would be a similar environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back over to you, Anne...

Andrew L.

--