Re: Dimpled chads - delete if not interested...

Hi Beth,
Happy day after...

Dimpled chads, pregnant chads, hanging chads, taped chads...  Couldn't this
problem be better handled "at the local level"? (Said tongue in check, just in
case you can't read my voice being mangled my tongue trying to poke a whole
through my Hostaholic cheek).

The above states my response.  The balance is just musings...

Unfortunately, because there ARE so often problems in execution at the local
level, and the influence of the almighty dollar is often more pronounced at
the local level, we have to had the big, bad, Federal Government come in to
clean us messes like this.

Shame on you, Florida.  Take some of that tourist tax revenue and buy some
decent vote recording equipment... But don't start thinking the way to handle
it is to let the problem go on for 10 years, not  worrying about the loss of a
few thousand votes each time people vote.  Apparently, governments have known
about this unreliable equipment for years.

Here is a modest proposal.  List two 900-numbers (One is to vote "Yes" for
Bush, the other is to vote "No" to Gore hehehe...).  Tell people in FL that in
5 days, they will be able to record their vote by telephone and publish the
numbers all over the place.    They will have to key-in their SSN and a pin
number that will be randomly generated at the time of the call.  It will be a
one time use with that SSN and once the vote is recorded, the system won't
accept that SSN again.  They good people of FL would only be voting for
President (and just one candidate, so how could they get that screwed up?) and
even a ten-year old can dial the phone reliably.

The whole thing could be programmed in about 2 days, the vote recorded in
another 2 and we'd be done by this time next week--the 1st of December.  The
whole state should vote to eliminate any question.    Of course, there would
be lots of votes tallied incorrectly because of the vast fraud, but we could
get the whole thing done with nearly as much realiability as the present
system.  Let's say it costs 2 bucks to vote, and only 2,000,000 that already
voted, don't vote this next time.  That would be mostly the poor, elderly, and
some mildly retarded adults, but that would leave 4,000,000 voters--not so
bad.  Times that by 2-bucks and you'd have a nice $8 Million to get some new
voting equipment.  Of course, because of the way the phones were rigged, all
4,000,000 votes would be for GWB, but it may be a sacrifice we're willing to
make.

At least the NEXT time the good people of FL voted for a President, we
MIGHT be able to trust the totals!!!

Letting the Tom Delay' gang chose the electors is just as retarded as my
proposal, unfortunately.  You have pointed out a travesty, Beth. Governments
have known about this problem for years and only now will the local
governments be forced to take action.

Andrew L.