H. clausa questions

Greetings
 I am hoping that somone could anser a few questions about H. clausa. I have been growing a plant identified as H. clausa var clausa and have been wondering if it is correctly labled . The plant has flowers that never open and spreads by runners (like a weed i might add). The nomeclature around this plant seems a bit confused to me, I have seen this plant labled as both "clausa var. clausa" and just as H. clausa and would like to know wich is correct . Since the epithet clausa implies closed flowers labeling it "clausa var. clausa" seems redundant to me . I have also seen this plant listed as a species which would seem unlikly to me as a plant with closed flowers would have a hard time reproducing itself sexualy in the wild and would therfore not seem to meet the definition of a species. To add to my confusion it seems there is also a plant that in this group that has open flowers and goes by the name H. clausa normalis. once again this name makes litle sense to me as it also implies closed flowers in the name. To me it would seem that the plant refered to as "normalis" would seem to be the most likely candidate for species status and the type with closed flowers would be a variety or cultivar . Any insight into The nomeclature of these plants would be greatly appreciated.
 I have one other question about the H. clausa var. clausa growing in my garden. Is this plant sterile? while closed flowers would prevent natural pollination it is easy enough to work around this if one wanted to cross this plant with others. Even if this plant never sets seed would it not be possible to use the pollen from it on another pod parent. Any insight into this plant would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks
  Mark