Re: clausa

In a message dated 11/27/00 4:13:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< The one with the closed
 flowers is fully pod and pollen sterile due to being a triploid. It is
 however frequently found in korean gardens Its stoniferous habit can
 make it a fast increaser. >>

Ben, perhaps you can comment on the following.  I don't know where, but I
think at hosta college last year we were discussing clausa and it was said by
someone that there is an insect that bores into the bloom and that
pollination can occur via this insect.  Of course this would only happen in
the wild.  Have you heard this, I thought that it was very interesting.  If
the plant is a triploid the pollination would have to be within the species,
so under these circumstances would the seed form on clausa?

Is it possible to make crosses between triploids?

I am just curious, so anyone else out there who remembers this please chime
in here.

Thanks,
Narda