Re: clausa

Is it possible to make crosses between triploids?
  Narda, this is a good question.  Maybe Paul, NOrm, and others w/ more
experience can comment on this; what are the results of crossing a
tetraploid x diploid.......or what happens when using a tet for pollen
parent?....sterile.....is that the end of the line ...or tet x tet??
  And make the response simple.....Thanks
Monty

----------
> From: NardaA@aol.com
> To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
> Subject: Re: clausa
> Date: Monday, November 27, 2000 6:08 AM
>
> In a message dated 11/27/00 4:13:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl writes:
>
> << The one with the closed
>  flowers is fully pod and pollen sterile due to being a triploid. It is
>  however frequently found in korean gardens Its stoniferous habit can
>  make it a fast increaser. >>
>
> Ben, perhaps you can comment on the following.  I don't know where, but I

> think at hosta college last year we were discussing clausa and it was
said by
> someone that there is an insect that bores into the bloom and that
> pollination can occur via this insect.  Of course this would only happen
in
> the wild.  Have you heard this, I thought that it was very interesting.
If