Re: Watering seedlings & fungus gnat control

----- Original Message -----
From: andrewl
************************
I now start with my "Cornell Mix" placed in a large zip lock type bag, and heat in the microwave, until it is to hot to touch.  I leave it overnight , sealed up.  All of my flats are washed in a 20 % clorox soulotion, and once I seal the bag after seed planting, it retains it's moisture, for aften more than 6 months.  I don't open it if not needed, as I worry about contamination.  I use every precoution for cleanleness in the planting procedure.
Thanks
Ran

As for the watering, I believe Ran has a great solution.  You water once at the time you plant.  Put the tray under the domes (or I believe he uses 2-gallon zip lock bags), and then don't water again until you remove them from the growing chambers.  This should be about 8 weeks or longer.  I found that once they get going, we are a lot more concerned about keeping the water level just right than are the plants. But you'll want to confer with the experts on this.  I may be setting them back by abusing them and Mary Chastain, Ran, or several others can address this watering issue better than I.

Good luck!