Re: Political discussions have diminshed...

... and this is good.  Much of it is now taking place at other forums.  I invited folks to come to the http://dev.hostahaven.com/discus site and fill up the server, and some are starting to do just that!

I am also looking for Hosta HOW-TO's and will continue to accumulate them.  If you are looking for a chance to place to share your brilliance, just mosey on over there and offer a post!
Incidentally, I may have found a good source for Thermal Blankets at http://www.dewittcompany.com (I don't know if they sell retail).   I ordered one today and now I'll get to see if they will do the trick required in the greenhouse environment.  May still need shade cloth for the summer AND the winter, but from what I have learned here (Paul Henjum and Narda M. in particular, but from others as well), one needs to need to keep the wide temperature swings in check.  I know this is not rocket science for most of you, but I have always felt that, "It doesn't matter whether the answer to the question is complex or painfully simple --if you don't know the answer, you're frustrated either way".

Finally, does anyone have experience with woven vs. knitted shade cloth?  At Dewitt, they said that knitted is more durable but quite a bit harder to handle or to move about, fold, put on and drape over a poly house, etc.  I imagine the woven is just a lot more "slippery" when there is friction from contact with the Poly.  I would be interested in comments about anyone else's experience.

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516