Nematode talk

  • Subject: Nematode talk
  • From: EntICE11@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:14:04 EST

Hi all,

Dr Grewald, of The Ohio University spoke at our Minnesota Hosta Society meeting Oct 27th. He has worked on Mushroom nematodes with Clarence
(or C.H. to us) Falstad.
Where Dr. Grewal's work has been published:
Hosta Journal 32, (1) 64-67 2001
Hosta Leaves 67, 3-7 Spring 2001
Pest Management Science 2002
www2.oardc.ohio-state.edu/nematodes
we can email him through this site.

Being in the dark it was very hard to take notes, but here are some notes Kim Larsen, Cindy johnson and I jotted down.

Plantagina Hostas don't always show symptoms of nematodes.
Nematodes are believed to enter hostas under the leaves.
Bleach gardening tools between each plant.

Cindy's comment:
prevention better than the cure
buy nematode free plants - in fall you can tell, or get them tested
minimize overhead sprinkling
cut and destroy infected leaves
isolate infected plants
fall cleanup (last Sunday a good day) collect and destroy leaves.  won't spread them on pruners because they are dormant now because of the cold temps we've had
they die if exposed to UV light
TC plants probably safe

There are a few ways to control them:
Hot water  (51c/61c/124c- 10 minutes)
hotwater drench in pot = 200 deg
Chemical
Biological

Kim's comment:And another crucial finding after all the testing
of chemicals:  hot water and insecticidal soap are almost as effective as
the chemicals and obviously less harmful to the environment.  Lisa & I had
dinner with him and further discussion lead to his comment that if the 'heat
treatment' I applied in my unscientific study this summer (Paula, you know
what I mean) shows no symptoms next year, I'm probably nematode free in
those plants!  Thus the anecdotal 'asphalt driveway treatment' I got from
Tom Michelletti must have merit.  Another breakthrough to those of use
loathe to use chemicals.

Under chemicals you have your choice:
Nematicides
Insecticides
Fungicides
Plant Derivatives

Some of the things he has worked with are:
Diazinon 4E (soon to be off the market)
Orthene
Dylox
Zertol
Insecticidal Soap
Clove Extract
Oxamyl
Tryclorform

Zertol is still available to the home owner and seems to be one of the most effective of what he tested.
We did suggest Nemacur and Bleach to be another couple to try.
He did say Nemacur will not be on the market long because of it's toxicity.

Insect Parasitic Nematodes  This is his web site and his email is on the site.